Culture Night - Friday 22nd September 2017
Once again this year, Dublin Docklands will team up with Oireachtas na Gaeilge to host a Currach race on Dublins River Liffey. The race will began at the pontoon on Custom House Quay and run for 2km beginning at 5pm.
Culture Night is an annual all-island public event that celebrates culture, creativity and the arts.
Culture Night has grown from a relatively small scale cultural event staged only in Dublin in 2006 to the significant national cultural event it is today, with some 350,000 people visiting museums, galleries, historic houses, artists' studios and cultural centres across the country. The initiative has captured both the publics imagination and the enthusiasm of artists and cultural organisations.
- Encourages more people to visit cultural venues and experience culture in their locality
- Reminds us all about the fantastic cultural facilities and resources that we have locally and nationally
- Raises the profile of cultural organisations, activities and facilities
- Encourages people to try new things and to get into the habit of going more often to cultural venues and activities in their locality
- Makes it easier for people to play a role in their local cultural scene
- Helps create a sense of community and belongings
Culture Night happens because many people share a vision and enthusiasm for enjoying, celebrating and promoting creativity and culture. The following lists the taste of the wide range of people and institutions that make it happen across Ireland:
the public, artists, performing groups, galleries, museums, sports clubs, libraries, arts centres, craft workers, studios and workshops, theatres, public spaces, broadcasters, schools, community groups, local authorities, Government Departments, state agencies and public bodies, transport companies, universites and may more.
Once again this year Dublin Docklands will team up with Oireachtas na Gaeilge to host a Currach race on Dublins River Liffey. The race will began at the pontoon on Custom House Quay and run for 2km beginning at 5pm.