Apply for a Street Trader Licence

Printer-friendly version

“Casual Trading” means selling goods on the public road or at a place where the public has access as of right and any other place that is a designated casual trading area. 

Casual trading in the Dublin City Council area is regulated by Casual Trading bye-laws made under the Casual Trading Act 1995.  A casual trading licence is a requirement under the Casual Trading Act to sell goods on the public road.  It is an offence under this Act to trade without a valid casual trading licence.


Casual trading is divided into Designated area trading and Event trading.


Designated Area Trading 

This is where certain streets are designated as casual trading areas, to sell certain types of goods.

Event Trading

An event casual trading licence is required by every individual who wishes to sell goods at the vicinity of an event for the day or days the event is taking place.


For more information please click here or see below contact details. 

Casual Trading Section

Community, Culture, Economic and Emergency Services     

Dublin City Council   

Civic Offices

Wood Quay

Dublin 8

D08 RF3F

Tel.| 01 222 2165

Email |

Share this page: